Friday, November 4, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

Today I was in Market Basket with my baby girl.  Going to that place is like playing a contact sport.  Maybe it's because it's right off the highway, but no matter when I go, it's always near-pandemonium.  (Hey, good for them, right?)

I am totally part of the traffic flow problem in that place, because I'm not familiar with the layout yet, and I'm constantly having to retrace my steps to find something I missed.  Today, this meant that I walked by the end-cap with all the Little Debbie cakes on it multiple times.

Now, what I'm about to say next is something I should probably not admit publicly.  Especially considering my position as a home baker who believes in making things from scratch, from ingredients you can recognize and pronounce.

But... I cannot turn down those Little Debbie's Christmas Tree Cakes.

As a kid I was a big fan of Little Debbie's.  I loved pretty much everything they made.  Oatmeal Cream Pies, Nutty Bars, Swiss Cake Rolls, the whole line - except Devil Dogs.  Those things are vile.  Anyway, I've outgrown my affection for pretty much all of those (besides, I can make a WAY better version of Oatmeal Cream Pies myself... hey, maybe I should offer those at some point!), but Christmas Tree Cakes are different.  They still have a place of honor in my heart.

I'm sure part of it is the link with my childhood.  My mom never bought them, but my friends' moms - well, they were another story.  So I associate them with the excitement of hanging out at friends' houses, eating something forbidden - because, of course we were eating them as snacks in the middle of the afternoon, which my mother never would have stood for.  They were special.

At this point in my life, I should know better.  They are essentially sugar, vegetable shortening and a bunch of nasty chemicals.  Gross, right?  And yet... and yet...

That weird, slightly hardened coating, halfway between a glaze and a shell.  The intense fake vanilla flavor of the airy cake and whipped frosting inside.  The crunch of the colored sugar on top.

It's so wrong, and yet SO RIGHT.

So I bought them.  And I totally opened the box in the car and ate a package of them right there in the driver's seat.  My daughter is fortunately still in a rear-facing car seat, so she couldn't see me as I stuffed my face with my own hypocrisy.  Oh, the shame!

Do you have a guilty pleasure food?  Something you know is wrong on so many levels, but you just can't resist it?

Leave a comment and tell me about it!  Come on, you know you want to.  No judging.  We're all friends here.

6 comments:

  1. Ramen noodles-even though now that I eat mostly pretty healthy, they give me a sodium headache!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny that you say that, Molly - I hadn't thought about ramen in years, but over the last couple of weeks I've been thinking it sounds really good! Drop an egg in there while it's cooking... oh man. I think I might break down and get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ramen, yes! One of mine is fudge. I'm not allowed to buy it. Or make it. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snyder's pretzels - the big crunchy salty thick ones. That and some Diet Coke and I'm in heaven. And then I eat about 6 of them and realize they are about 150 cals each. I'm also never allowed to buy them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Entenmann's donuts with the crumb topping. I used to buy them by the box during finals and eat one as a reward for finishing something. I ADORE them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imitation crab sticks IN ramen (I salute you Molly!) How can something with the word "imitation" in it be so nummy?

    Also, on the sweet side, any box of chocolates. Any.

    ReplyDelete