Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Timing Is Everything

There's just never a good time to tear down a kitchen, is there?

(That was rhetorical.  But just in case you're really wondering - no.  No, there isn't.)

As all my fellow New Englanders know, last winter was insane.  My husband works at a school, and I'm pretty sure he got a snow day per week from January through mid-February.  The storms were relentless.  We, like many people in our area, got ice dams on the north-facing side of our house that caused leaks in the ceiling.

Guess which ceiling.  Guess!

Yup, the kitchen.  Only the most frequently-used, central room in the house.  Ugh.

We chipped the ice off the roof and the leaking stopped, leaving ugly brown water stains behind.  That was okay, because we had been planning on repainting the ceiling anyway.  We knew the leaks might represent something more sinister - some more serious damage to the house - but it still took us a while before it finally occurred to us: hey, why else do we have this homeowner's insurance?  This is what it's for!

So we're finally moving forward with getting things fixed.  We have a friend who's a contractor, and he's telling us that we've got a lot of work ahead of us.  It looks like my beloved kitchen will be out of commission for at least a couple of weeks in December.  

DECEMBER!  It's almost enough to make me tear my hair and rend my garments.  I love cooking and baking in December.  I actually got most of my Christmas shopping done early this year, and I had been looking forward to the relatively leisurely, stress-free baking I would get to do as a result.

I had also planned on offering some special Christmas goodies for you, my wonderful customers.  I am going to try to find a way to make this work, but it's going to take some pretty creative problem-solving.  

*sigh*

Well, there is plenty of silver lining to all this.  First, it means that when it's all done and the dust has been swept away, I'll have a lovelier, more functional kitchen.  

Second, it means that I still have a kitchen all the way through November - so, Thanksgiving orders are still on!  And I can take more!  

Hit me up, y'all.  Remember, order by next Wednesday (the 16th) for guaranteed Turkey Day goodness.  I still have some slots left in my free delivery promotion.

onemoreslicebakery@gmail.com


**A HUGE thank you to the people who have already placed orders - your support means so much to me.  





No comments:

Post a Comment